Biblical teaching without compromise. Loving people without exception.
Calvary Baptist Church Elders Obligations to the Church Body:
As overseers of a local church, elders are men entrusted with protecting, leading, equipping and caring for the corporate church body and her individual members. The following is an overview of the requirements for elders as defined within the Scriptures. The Elders Covenant…
- To, along with the aid of members, appoint elders and deacons according to the criteria assigned to them in Scripture (1 Tim. 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Pet. 5:1-4).
- To prayerfully seek God’s will for our church community and steward her resources to the best of our ability based on our study of the Scriptures, following the Spirit, and a sensitivity and intimate knowledge of our congregation (Acts 20:28; 1 Pet. 5:1-4).
- To oversee the growth of members as disciples of Christ and give an account for their growth in grace, truth, and love (Matt. 28:16-20; Eph. 4:15-16; Jam. 5:14; Heb. 13:17; 1 Pet. 5:1-4).
- To provide teaching and counsel from the whole Scripture (Acts 20:27-28; 1 Tim. 4:13-16, 5:17; 2 Tim. 4:1-5; Titus 2:1).
- To equip the members of the church for the work of ministry, including future Elders, Church Planters, and Missionaries (Eph. 4:11-16; 2 Tim. 2:2).
- To be on guard against false teachers and teachings (Matt. 7:15; Jn. 10:12-13; Acts 20:28-31; 1 Tim. 1:3-7; 1 Jn. 4:1).
- To lovingly oversee the exercise of discipline when necessary, for the glory of God, the good and restoration of the one disciplined, and the health of the church as a whole (Matt. 18:15-20; 1 Cor. 5; Gal. 6:1; Jam. 5:19-20).
- To set an example and join members in fulfilling the obligations of church participation and membership
(Acts 20:28; Phil. 3:17; 1 Tim. 4:12; Titus 2:7-8; 1 Pet. 5:3).